Thursday, September 25, 2008

Refereeing

Last Friday, I had my first game back refereeing since spring. It went well. I ran the line in a U12 coed game and didn't really have anything to call, but it was fun. I am at least 10 years older than all the other referees which is a bit odd, but they don't seem to care and I don't care so it works. I also reffed a game Saturday morning. I watched a co-worker's son's game (5 & 6 year olds) and then reffed a 5 & 6 year old game. At that age you're part coach and part ref since you're constantly telling the kids what to do when there's a goal kick, corner kick, throw-in, or really any other call. It's quite fun. I'm listening to a podcast in which Graham Poll, the former English ref who spurred my interest in getting back into refereeing, participates and I've been reflecting on my choice to not referee until now. I enjoy reffing the little kids games and watching them just have fun, but it would be nice to referee at a higher level. I think I'll get to this high school season as last season there were apparently only three refs to do all of the high school games here. For those that don't know you need at least three refs at every high school game, one center and two assistants (formerly known as linesmen). You can have a fourth official to deal with coaches and subs or to just serve as an alternate.

No comments: