Thursday, August 27, 2009

I plead the Fourth

Going through security at Tucson airport just now I was "randomly" selected for a pat-down. I say "randomly" because, as I was in line, I did not see any female passengers selected. The guy in front of me was selected, his wife behind him was not, I was selected, the Army guy behind me was not, but the guy behind him was.

*to be updated later, we're boarding now*

Update 1700:
I'm sitting at LAX now waiting for the evening flight back home. So the screening *could* have been every other person, but I don't remember the person four ahead or behind me being screened, only +/- 2 around me. Either way I am annoyed at the search. I've been selected before, so I'm not sure why this search bothered me. Maybe it's that I've been reading a lot of articles by (and about) Bruce Schneier lately. I understand that there are implied consent issues, but I'm not really up on the law. Nothing was improper about the search (other than my misgivings about its legality), but for the first time I actually felt like I was giving up a right and I don't think the security I get is worth it anymore. It also bothered me that the guy two behind me remarked, "Whatever you have to do" to the TSA officers about his search. He seemed very flippant about his Fourth Amendment rights.

I've got a few posts about my trip (restaurant reviews), but I'll do those later.

1 comment:

abby said...

ooooh a cliff hanger! yay you're on your way home!! yay yay yay! Daniel is doing a little jig of joy as we speak :)