Saturday, May 22, 2010

How attached are you to your eyes?

I went out this morning to grab some discs I left at "league" couple weeks ago and pick up a few things at the store. Abby expressed a desire to have biscuits and gravy for brunch so, while I was out, I stopped by Midway Cafe to grab some. While I was waiting for my order, a guy came in and was trying to find a couple streets for garage sales. I knew where one of the streets was so I directed him there. Partway through my directions two ladies in their late-40s or early-50s came up to pay their bill. I heard one of them say "Do you think he's very attached to them?". I didn't pay much attention as I was giving directions. After I was done, the ladies told me I had beautiful eyes. I thanked them and they proceeded to tell me that they had been trying to determine how attached I was to my eyes. They mentioned, jokingly (I hope), that they had been contemplating beating me up and taking my eyes...

I'll let that sink in a bit.

They then complemented my eyes again, I gave some other sort of thanks/acknowledgement and sort of turned away a bit. One of them said "Now he's getting shy" and seemed surprised at my slight withdrawal from the heretofore-normal conversation.

Of course I got shy! You just talked about assaulting me and scooping out my eyes! What am I supposed to say to that?! "Sure take my eyes"? "Thanks but no thanks"? (as an aside to the diner owner) "Call the cops"? I wonder what Miss Manners would recommend in that situation.

It was probably the weirdest conversation I've ever been a part of.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That is funny. Well you and James do have some lovely eyes. Compliments to your awesome parents!

Erin A. :D