Thursday, June 17, 2010

Referee Rating Criteria

I read some referee reviews at referees.worldcupblog.com today and I wasn't impressed. First of all, I hate ratings that use a 10 point scale and then treat it like an American school grade where average starts at 7/10. You're basically leaving 1/3 to 1/2 of your rating scale unused. I was preplexed at some of the ratings so I thought I'd give my $0.02. Anyways, I'll be using a 10 point scale with 5 being average. As this is the World Cup and most of the best referees in the world are at the tournament, I would expect my average rating to be higher. I'd like to rate each referee on the following:
fitness - How well did the ref keep up with play and how quickly did he get into position after a quick possession change (a lower rating here is not necessarily bad, if the ref's positioning is spot-on)

positioning - How well the referee positions himself relative to play and its direction, the big question here is "Is the ref in position to see what he needs to see?"

big decisions - Did the referee shy away from making a big decision or did he step up and make the big call or wave it away correctly?

game control - How well did the ref control the game? Did he let it flow when he was able? Did he clamp down when he needed to?

assistants - How did the center referee's assistants do? Did they let him down or step up?

overall - Not an average of the other categories, but my best estimate of the ref's performance based on the game itself.

No comments: